So this is Christmas?
So this is (was) Christmas in Granada!
After seeing in Christmas Eve in 'El Club' (with more fireworks than you can poke a stick at fired off by boys who should not be playing with matches let alone fireworks!) with a few 'cubalibres' (white Rum and Coke for the uninitiated) under my belt I attempted one of the very few sleep in's for the trip. Unfortunately my body clock is still not fully adjusted to Central American time and I awoke at 6am.
Our hotel in Granada was fantastic, and boasted a lovely pool just outside my door. I took in the relative quiet of the early morning to dangle my feet in the pool whilst reading a book! What a lovely way to start the day! I was so excited about giving Cheryl her Christmas pressie that by 8am I could not wait any longer and woke her up...he he he.In Antigua I had been a bit sneaky and under the guise of looking for some jewelry for my sisters with Cheryl, worked out what took Cheryl's fancy and bought her a rather fetching jade birthstone. I had also purchased a handmade leather wrist strap and some 'worry dolls' which I stuffed in the Qantas socks that I received on my flight from Sydney to LA! Cheryl gave me a lovely handmade paper notebook and a little gecko.
We wandered around Granada on Christmas morning, heading down to the shores of lake Nicaragua passing dozens and dozens of locals who celebrate the holiday in much the same way as the Aussies do (at the beach!) before retiring to the hotel to slop around in the pool trying to keep cool (none of us were brave enough to tempt fate by swimming in the lake).Lunch was organised by our Tour Guide at a local hotel, and consisted of an all you can eat buffet of prawns, lobster, turkey and pork (which reminded me a lot of home!). We exchanged Secret Santa gifts, and I received a lovely Nicaraguan CD which will be used and abused to put my photos and video on DVD! Unfortunately the bottle of 'goodness knows what' came back to haunt me as the girl who I had given it too did not like it and made me scull most of the bottle (at 17.5% alcohol I ended up having a pretty merry night afterwards!).
Our Tour Guide is a young Brit called Kirsty. She is great fun and does her best to make sure that we are having a good time. Part of her uniform consists of a Tucan cap...which she has left behind on a plane, buses and in taxis. A few of us decided that we should liberate her hat from her for the day (partly to see if she noticed, and partly to give her a break from being 'on the job') and held it hostage for the night. We sent her a hostage note saying that if she did not have a 'Merry Christmas' then the hat would 'get it' and also making demands for her to dance on the bar 'or else'. She saw the funny side of it, but was relieved (nonetheless) to get her cap back on Christmas Day after lunch. We also serenaded her with our rendition of the 12 Days of Christmas - Tucan Style, which had her in hysterics...I am sure a memorable Christmas for her!!
Waving goodbye to our five star luxury, we headed for the Volcanic island of Ometepe which is located in the middle of Lake Nicaragua. A short walk to the local 'chicken bus' station (unfortunately slowed down by our two elderly American travelers - who moaned about having to walk with their 'roller' bags to the bus station...which bit about Adventure travel did they not understand?) where we had to squeeze (and I mean squeeze) onto the bus for our 90 minute drive to the sea port. Many had to stand (some next to a dude who was carrying a .45 in his pocket...is that a gun in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?) and I had to put up with half my butt on a seat (but I was not complaining...at least I was sitting).
We made it to the port and alighted on a local ferry for our 75 minute trip to the island. We squished on board with the locals and watched with awe as they managed to squeeze a couple of fully laden trucks, 4wd's and local produce onto the deck.Arriving in Ometepe we got settled into our dingy hotel (not as bad as Tela but pretty ordinary just the same) before heading off to the Jesus beach to watch the sunset - which was magnificent! The beach is aptly named due to a sand bar which makes it seem as if one is walking on water!
Ometepe is not much of a tourist mecca, but boasts two awesome volcanoes (one dormant the other active) which dwarf the horizon. There is one main road around the largest of the two volcano's (Conception) and the remainder of the roads are in dreadful condition, requiring 4WD access. The options available to us included a town tour, a walk to a waterfall (partway up the inactive volcano) and full day hike up the volcano. Unfortunately due to the muddy conditions of the volcano trek, I opted for the waterfall trek which was a little disappointing. We did get to see/hear howler monkeys, local bean crops, pick mandarins off the trees for a snack - which kindof made up for the less than inspiring waterfall!Another early start (commencing with a gecko decided to poop on my face in the wee hours) saw us jumping on the dawn ferry and heading back to the mainland for our trip to San Jose in Costa Rica. Fortunately we were traveling on a coach style bus, which afforded a little bit of luxury and included non-stop videos (although all in Spanish). The border crossing was different to the other borders (due to the fact that Costa Rica is not part of the Central American agreement of free travel/trade much like the EU) and we had to endure 2 hours of standing around, lining up at immigration and getting our bags 'checked' (read looked at and not even opened!) before setting off for the six hour trip to San Jose.
We had been traveling with quite a big group since Tegucigalpa and San Jose was the termination point for most of those people. With a few tears in our eyes and promises of remaining in contact, we said our goodbyes and welcomed the new travelers who will be joining us for the remainder of the tour thorough Costa Rica. Yesterday was a free day in San Jose where we planned on doing our own 'city tour' but were saddened to find that it was a public holiday and most of the major attractions (the Jade and Gold museum) were closed. The National Museum was open, however, and boasted an excellent collection of early Costa Rican history, artwork and sculptures as well as a 'secret' butterfly garden. Well worth the US$2!
Yet again I have been a little zealous with my shopping and have purchased a few more knick knacks for home and friends! My bag is beginning to be a little full now...and I must remember to calculate the large amount of Cheryl's gear that I have to bring home also (she wins the prize for overpacking!). Today we head off to La Fortuna and the Arenal Volcano...which promises lots of volcanic action and beautiful sunsets. I think that Cheryl and I will probably take in some Canyoning and Kayaking as well as a trip in a couple of caves!
Have a great New Year to you all!!
Erica

1 Comments:
Have a great new year down south. Be careful and stay safe. Johnny D.
9:57 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home